You’ve spent a lot of time making your house perfect and keeping it clean. Don’t let a rodent destroy the inner workings of your home!
A single rat can destroy insulation, chew through wires, weaken floor joists and even chew through brick! Not to mention they carry disease and leave droppings wherever they go. The droppings will soak into insulation and the odors can emanate into your home.
Pest control and crawl space cleaning is big business. Just check a search online and see all the companies that do it. With hundreds of thousands of homes damaged each year in the U.S., these companies keep busy removing and repairing homes damaged by pests. Don’t fall victim!
Rodent damage is not typically covered by your home insurance policy. For most losses to be considered, it needs to be “sudden and accidental.” A rodent making a home in the crawl space of your home may come overnight, but the damage they cause is caused over a period of months, or even years.
So, how do rodents get into your home? A rat, for instance, has a very soft skeleton and can squeeze through the smallest of gaps. It is important to look at all areas that enter your crawlspace.
Crawlspace areas to check:
- Screens that cover vents (ensure there are no gaps or holes)
- Gaps around brickwork (if gaps exist, use expanding foam, mortar or weather stripping to fill the space)
- Access panels (ensure the access door fits tightly and gaps do not exist)
Other things to keep in mind:
- Never store food in your garage or crawl space
- Keep trash in tight containers
- Keep weeds and other plants away from your home so they can’t hide near your home
- Don’t keep pet food in a garage or other outdoor area
- Don’t stack items near your home where they could hide (lumber piles, wood piles etc.)
If you suspect a rodent may be in your crawl space, look for hanging insulation and feces left near the walls. Consider calling a professional to come and take a look. Keeping your crawl space clean is important to the inner air in your home, so if your crawl space has been damaged get a quote to repair and replace the insulation.